History of Frankfort Illinois
Frankfort, Illinois, has a rich and interesting history that spans more than two centuries. Established in 1834, the town was initially known as “New Philadelphia,” It served as an important stop along the Illinois and Michigan Canal.
In 1848, the town was renamed “Frankfort” in honor of Franklin Pierce, who had recently been elected president of the United States. Frankfort soon became a thriving community, and by the early 1900s it had become one of the largest towns in Will County.
During World War II, Frankfort was home to a large military base used to train soldiers for combat. The base closed down shortly after the war ended, but the town continued to grow and prosper.
Today, Frankfort is a thriving community of nearly 20,000 people. The town is home to a variety of businesses and industries, and it continues to play a vital role in the economy of Will County. Frankfort is also a popular destination for tourists, thanks to its rich history and many charming attractions.
Fun things to do in Frankfort
If you're looking for something fun to do in Frankfort, here are a few suggestions:
1. Visit the Frankfort Historical Society Museum.
2. Take a walk or bike ride through the Frankfort Forest Preserve.
3. Have a picnic at Frankfort Harbor Park.
4. Visit the historic downtown district.
5. Check out the unique shops and restaurants in Frankfort.
Where to stay in Frankfort
If you're planning on visiting Frankfort, there are several places to stay in town:
1. The Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Frankfort is a comfortable and convenient option, located just minutes from downtown.
2. The Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Frankfort offers a fitness center and free internet access, along with an indoor pool and whirlpool.
3. The Holiday Inn Villa Park-Chicago North is close to I-355 and Route 83, so it's convenient to the interstate but not right on top of it. It also features free high-speed internet access in all rooms.
4. The Extended Stay America - Chicago - Frankfort is perfect for those who want to be close to downtown while still having some extra space after a long day of sightseeing. This hotel has many affordable suites with full kitchens.
Climate Control Systems
22774 Citation Rd Unit C, Frankfort, IL 60423, United States